Recent Posts

April 8, 2016

DIY Repurposed Chalkboard



A few weeks ago I was hunting through the Rustored Salvage warehouse and I uncovered an old dresser mirror frame. I had just seen my Instagram friend Misty's (@MisDIY) recent chalkboard makeover so I immediately recognized it's potential. 

My haul that day

This was a fairly simple project. I traced the shape of the mirror onto some 1/4 inch luan plywood (the same stuff we used for the faux shiplap in our master bedroom recently).



Then I used a jigsaw to cut the shape out about 1/4 inch larger than the shape I had traced so the edges would be hidden by the frame. I don't actually own a jigsaw because my dad has every tool imaginable and lives close by. So he and I did it together when we were over my parents' house for dinner last weekend.

I did have to clean up the frame a little. I washed some of the grime off and then lightly sanded it. There was some original finish that was flaking and came off very easily. I decided to leave some here and there because I liked the look of it. There was also some remnants of a decorate piece at the top that I had to scrape off. Once I had it sanded to my liking, I oiled it with some Bee Keepers Gold Wax (love that stuff!).


Meanwhile, I did a coat of primer on the plywood and then three coats of chalkboard paint. I had this leftover from doing a chalkboard wall in our playroom a few years ago. It's important to remember that the chalkboard actually needs to be "primed" before you use it too. You simply rub chalk all over the entire surface and then wipe it off and you are good to go!


I picked up some glazing points at Michael's to secure the plywood inside the frame and voila!! It was done!


I have been wanting to replace the whiteboard in our kitchen with a chalkboard for a while. This piece has more character and was the perfect size. I love that it can be used as a decorative piece or be completely functional. I have already used it to make a few to do lists.

There are so many creative ways to repurpose old things into chalkboards and they are an easy way to add some character to your home. The mirror for this frame was long gone by the time I came across it but you could also use a mirror that still has the glass and paint right onto the glass. Then you get to skip the whole plywood and jigsaw part! You can also add a backing to any picture frame or use old windows. Yard sale and flea market season is right around the corner, so keep your eyes open!

Thanks for following along and I would love to see your chalkboard projects!

Kaitlin



No comments

Post a Comment


UP